Sea to Sky Sailing and Swallow Tail Tours have partnered to provide you with a unique evening of sailing, instruction and fine dining to showcase a real taste of BC's wild west coast.
Catch your own Dungeness crab
Sail the waters of Howe Sound
Learn some sailing skills as you go
Visit Snug Cove on Bowen Island
Learn how to prepare crab
Feast on a 3 course, 5 star meal
Sunset sail home
5% GST added at checkout.
For these tours it's customary to tip your tour guides 15-20% for great service.
This is an utterly unique experience of life on the West Coast that includes:
- 4 hour tour, from 5pm to 9pm.
- Maximum of 6 guests on board.
- Sailing aboard a beautiful yacht with a professional skipper providing instruction all on the way.
- Instruction in how to fish for your own Dungeness crab, from an experienced local crabber. Learn about the crab's lifecycle and habitat as well as what bait to use and where to fish for the fattest crabs.
- A three course meal including an appetizer, fresh caught Dungeness crab, and a dessert, all prepared by a professional chef.
What to Bring
Please make sure to dress comfortably and warmly. You'll be an active member of the crew which means moving around the boat at least a little bit, and it is always quite a bit colder out on the water than it is on shore because of the humidity and wind. Be prepared and please bring:
- Closed-toe, non-marking shoes. Running shoes, canvas flats, or anything with a soft rubber sole that is not black.
- Rain jacket. Even if it doesn't look like it will rain this is really useful as a windbreaker to stay warm!
- Layers to keep warm. Especially on the return sail from Snug Cove it is likely to be a bit chilly.
- Sun protection: sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, etc.
- Water bottle.
5pm sharp! Meet at the boat in West Vancouver. Receive a safety briefing and orientation to the yacht, then head out on the water.
Catch some crabs! We'll pull up one of our traps and see what the sea has provided us for dinner. Our Swallow Tail chef will teach you about crabbing so you'll have the basics to try it again yourself.
Set sail for adventure! We'll hoist the sails and make our way up through the mouth of Howe Sound towards Bowen Island. Our Sea to Sky Sailing skipper will get everyone working together as a crew to sail the boat, giving you a chance to get a feel for what life afloat can be like. This is often also a great opportunity to see some curious seals and sometimes porpoises will also pay us a visit as we sail.
Outdoor dining in Snug Cove. This bustling village is full of charm and includes a great park where we can picnic in style. Our Swallow Tail chef will provide a cooking demonstration, showing you how to prepare crab for optimal West Coast flavour... and then you get to eat it! The three course meal includes an appetizer, Dungeness crab entrée and a dessert.
Sunset sail home. After we've feasted on our lavish local meal, it's time to sail back to West Vancouver. Relax, sit back and watch the sun set on the horizon. Bliss! Back at the dock by 9pm.